Rio Secreto Expedition
Put your wetsuit, helmet with a special lamp and wet shoes and get deep in a cave, walk and swim in an unforgettable scenario, a world wonder where you will experience a journey through an stunning underground river with thousands of stalactites and stalagmites
Enjoy a fantastic experience in one of the most incredible locations in the Riviera Maya that begins at the moment you arrive at the Natural Reserve where you will be greeted by our highly trained guides and equipped like a professional dive master. You will put on a wetsuit, helmet with a special lamp and wet shoes.
At Rio Secreto (Secret River), you will experience the silence of a world below, crossing for an hour and a half through the crystalline water museum. Filled with a kaleidoscope of speleothems, walk an easy 600 meter route amidst the thousands of stalactites and stalagmites found in this protected natural reserve. This is an underground adventure like no other!
After the tour, you will be provided with an excellent lunch of light foods and have a chance to relax at this great natural habitat.
Frequently Asked Questions
How thick is the wetsuit?
It is 2.5 to 3 millimeters thick.
If I don’t know how to swim, can I still take the tour?
It is not required that you know how to swim. You only need to know how to float. The in-water portion of the tour is very brief and shallow. In addition, you will be aided by your life jacket and wetsuit, which help you stay afloat.
What is the temperature of the water?
The water is cool, with a temperature of 22º C to 24º C, or 69º F to 75º F. However, our visitors wear neoprene wetsuits and life vests t
- RIO SECRETO REGULAR: Round trip transportation, Access to the Nature Reserve, groups of 10 people max., specialized guide, lockers, wetsuit, life jacket, helmet with lamp, towels, regional buffet, non-alcoholic drinks.
- RIO SECRETO PLUS: Rio Secreto Regular Tour + Rappel + bike + Salon de la Paz Experience
- RIO SECRETO WILD: Entrance to the cave system, expert guide, personal photographer, safety helmet with light, bicycle, wetsuit, snorkel, mask and life vest, breakfast, box lunch snack, beverages and an exquisite buffet at the end of the journey.
- Tips, souvenirs or any other service or activity with an extra charge at the location not listed in this program.
- Children minimum age is 4 years for Regular tour, 7 years for Plus Tour and 13 year for Wild Tour
- There is free babysitting service for 4 years old kids or younger in charge of staff with first-aid certificates. This service is under request.
- Maximum weight permitted 120kg/250lb.
- This tour is not available for people with severe physical handicaps, heart diseases, pregnant women or for people under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- The following items are not allowed inside the underground river: caps, sunglasses, Flip-flops, watches, jewelry, photo or video cameras, band-aids, any objects in swimsuits pockets or any other type of bag
- The water is cool, with a temperature of 18° C to 19° C, or 64° F to 66° F. However, our visitors wear neoprene wetsuits and life vests to keep them comfortable and help mitigate the brisk water temperature.
- It is not required that you know how to swim. You only need to know how to float. The in-water portion of the tour is very brief and shallow. In addition, you will be aided by your life jacket and wetsuit, which help you stay afloat.
- In order to protect the safety of individuals, the group and the cave, you are not allowed to bring photography or video equipment into the caves, since you can slip or damage a natural structure while inside. However, you may use them outside the cave.
- During the expedition, there is professional photographic equipment and lighting inside the cave, which allows to safely capture your adventure on film and deliver high quality photographs. Common cameras are barely able to generate a bright enough flash inside Rio Secreto and they are unable to capture and illuminate the beauty and scope of the entire cave. You can purchase these photos individually or in CDs.
What to bring
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes.
- We recommend wearing shorts and a t-shirt.
- Wear your bathing suit underneath.
- Bring a dry change of clothes for after the tour.
- No need for sunscreen since you will be inside the cave in the shade.